Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Bizarre Blizzard in the Fall of 2009

Yes, that is right. When the Blizzard hit Friday night and continued to drop about 2 feet of snow it was still fall. This beautiful back drop of white coated all of the land around me. It was not the typical Maryland wet snow that turns into ice, but a soft powder. Quite lovely, and just in time for Christmas. This will be the first Christmas in my life time that will have snow, and in essence be my first 'white Christmas.'

It was quite pretty and made me nostalgic. I remember the first 'big snow' I saw. It was 1996 and I was just 7 and probably a little over 3 and a half feet. That year we got about 21 inches in DC and I remember it well. I was so excited for it, little did I know that my mother and father would spend hours digging in the snow just so that my brother and I could leave the house. I had wanted to build an igloo a snow man, sled, everything. But when I had gone out there were places where the snow was up to my chest. That year the roads were horrible, and the plows usually came down our street last. I remember my father having to walk through all of it to go to Safeway which was about 5 miles away.

This year I had a similar feeling as I did when I was 7. I could not wait to go out side. Just anticipating the snow. But instead of wanting to play in it. I could not wait to use our gas powered snow plow in two feet of snow. hahahaha times have changed.

Merry Christmas everyone, and a happy New Year

1 comment:

  1. I think we may have a white Christmas here in WNC, too. Have not had this much snow in about 15 years, probably only once since the blizzard of '93. It was interesting on the mtn. I hope I sent you all of the emails.
    Merry Christmas to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete