Wednesday, September 16, 2009

An uneventful day.

Hello all,

Well last night I did not sleep again. I am starting to get worried about it, though the reality is that I just need to turn off my lights and go to sleep at around 11 at night. But for some reason I choose not to. And therefore I should not really complain about it, yea? Any who, today was uneventful.

It is cloudy here in Northern Maryland today. Which is natural for this time of year. I did have one issue today. I did not go to Logic. As a result of my not sleeping last night I decided to sleep through Logic in the Mathematics work room. I did not miss much, in fact I missed nothing at all. This was a review day for a test on Friday. Which brought me up to think about the usefulness of a Review Day. Is it necessary? Would a student to the same (on a test), worse or better as the result of a Review Day. I feel that as long as one keeps up with home work and the readings in a course then one only needs to skim notes before the test, after all Tests should test mastery, not how much one can cram into their heads.

The Review Day is a little interesting. What if we did not have it? The first case is that we end a topic say on a Monday and then on Wednesday we are tested. With this case I think I would contend that this is not reasonable and will not give students an adequate amount of time to study. But I would most likely be contradicting myself because of the what I view tests to be. The second case is that we start new material. This I would again content that it may blur what we are being tested on. Plus we will have to study before we can begin to master a new topic. However again I feel like I would ultimately contradict my self in that if one has mastered a subject then we would not 'un-master' it by learning new material. So perhaps in the future I will just not go (or sleep through again) to a Review Day. Then it eliminates the ambiguity I suppose.

In the mean time here is something random to think about....John


No comments:

Post a Comment